Thursday 1 December 2016

week 10 - Social media, Keyboard worrier

Illustration for social media column"I want to unfriend someone on Facebook but I don't want to hurt their feelings
In a new column, Elle Hunt negotiates the sometimes excruciating world of social media. This week: culling your contacts 

I want to unfriend someone on Facebook but I’m worried I’ll hurt their feelings. What should I do?

First, a caveat: I may take a more callous approach to this than the average social media user. But I believe that no online friendship is a given; that every follow is earned. Curate your timeline, and do so rigorously.
On Twitter in particular I may unfollow someone in a fleeting fit of intolerance, possibly to reconnect if they pick up their game in future. Easy follow, easy go is the word – Twitter can be bad enough without voluntarily weathering the worst of it.
This doesn’t apply as easily to Facebook, where the worst offenders can be blood ties and a hasty unfriending is more likely to create problems “in real life”. But even there it is worth being mindful about your network.
That’s not just for the sake of your own enjoyment (although removing former schoolmates, one-time acquaintances and any racists can improve the Facebook experience immeasurably). It’s also for the security of your information.
Remember: people are creeping. Don’t make it any easier for them than you have to.

 Whilst reading this article, written by Elle Hunt, I did agree with some points that were made. However, I feel as if this topic is quite irrelevant, and people shouldn't overthink about whether they not they should unfollow someone on Social Media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment