Thursday 2 March 2017

Identities and Film: blog task

1) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.

    1. I am Ria Sokal.
    2. I am a student at Greenford High School.
    3. I am 18 years old.
    4. I am 5'2.
    5. I am always tired. 
    6. I am interested in Drama. 
    7. I am interested in Photography.
    8. I am Atheist.
    9. I am a sister.
    10. I am a drama student.
    11. I am a Media student.
    12. I am an English student.
    13. I am British.
    14.  I am Female.
    15. I am always complaining. 
    16. I am always listening to old school music. 
    17. I am always listening to music. 
    18. I am a cousin. 
    19. I am going to university. 
    20. I am adventurous.

2) Classify your answers into the categories listed  on the Factsheet: Social groups, ideological beliefs, interests etc.

Social groups and classifications:  


- I am a drama student.
- I am a Media student.
- I am an English student
- I am Female.
I am a student at Greenford High School
- I am 18 years old.
- I am 5'2
- I am always tired. 

Ideological beliefs: 
- I am British
I am Atheist.

Ambitions
I am going to university. 

Self-evaluations: 

- I am adventurous.
- I am always complaining. 
- I am always listening to old school music. 
- I am always listening to music. 
- I am always tired. 
- I am interested in Drama. 
- I am interested in Photography.


3) Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?
My favourite film that I picked was, Alice In Wonderland. This shows that I'm quite imaginative, as the film is mainly based upon imagination. Alice herself, is quite good-hearted which and helps others, which I think resonate with my values and beliefs. Alice is also very adventurous, and I think I am too.  

4) Watch the trailers for the five films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film. How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?

Wilde - 1997 
In this film, the audience is asked to allow people to be comfortable with their sexuality and beliefs, instead of being judged for it. 

Philadelphia (1993):
This film creates a moral panic mainly due to sex and aids. The film presents that being gay shouldn't be something that stops people from achieving what they want in life but instead should motivate you even more. 

The wedding Banquet (1993)
This film covers things such as race and homophobia. It presents traditional families, and this is shown through the Chinese man and the white man and their different traditions. 

The kids are alright (2010): 
This film shows a negative representation of two women who are portrayed as incapable of raising a family. 

Pride - 2014 
 This is a film about a group of people who are gay, and being accepted. However, in the film we see the audience confused about what the group is for. This film also shows, people, who are gay for example being comfortable with expressing who they really are.












No comments:

Post a Comment